Monday, May 04, 2009

The Pacman does it again!


I am no fan of boxing. No no no no no. But when you live in the Philippines you just cannot help knowing what's going on in the boxing world. Manny Pacquiao, one of, if not THE best boxer in the world is Filipino and, naturally, a national hero. His posters endorsing sports drinks, cameras, cars, you name it, are everywhere. The newspapers are full of his pictures, and you can't turn on a Filipino TV channel without seeing him within the first 5 minutes or so.

So, yesterday Pacman did it again. For the fourth time in a row he won the world championship, in yet another weight class. Even as someone who is no fan of boxing (actually I hate it, what a cruel sport..) I can't help but be excited for the Filipinos. This is their hero and they're so excited about it. The only complaint I heard was that he won too quickly! For a poor fruit vendor or bus driver who spends his last savings (don't even get me started on what I think about that...) to watch the game on live TV, I guess you'd want it to last more than a few minutes. Anyway, I will raise above my feelings against boxing: congratulations Pacquiao and congratulations Philippines
!



Photo: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/boxing/8031324.stm


No comments: