Friday, May 12, 2006

Indonesia!

I am now in Indonesia! So far so good - my only problem is I have no idea what people are saying to me. It became a little challenging when I got lost in a taxi, not knowing where I was going OR how to say it. So next week I am going to language training!

Right now I am in Banda Aceh, working on a damage assessment after the tsunami and conflict. Challenging! Especially since I don't know the language. Despite calling him Pocahontas until I realized his name is Ponhar, the driver here is helping me out. He's eiter the forgiving type or hasn't heard of Pocahontas (I suspect the latter...).

Another, not so good, development is that I currently have a very colourful foot in elephant size. I got a blister in the Solomon Islands that never healed and got really infected (that country really didn't do me very much good!!). So yesterday, when my shoe didn't fit me anymore, I figured it was time to check out the Aceh medical system. Fortunately there is a good UN doctor in place - who turned green when he saw my foot and pretty much said I was an idiot for not seeing him earlier... So now I am on two types of antibiotics and have to get really painful cleaning every day. Pretty stupid. As a gesture to all of you I will NOT post a picture...

No comments: